[tahoe-dev] python 2.4 no longer supported?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 02:41:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> You might be able to find an earlier relase of pysqlite (one which
> doesn't use 'with') and install it manually. Once you've done that,
> tahoe's setup.py ought to detect it and use it, instead of trying to
> download+install a new one. I don't know of anything you could possibly
> pass to tahoe's install command that would cause it to intentionally
> download an older version of pysqlite.

We could also set our _auto_deps.py file:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/_auto_deps.py?rev=20090802025710-92b7f-d695686a41548f1cdd258a87b818b46723ed521b

to specify "pysqlite >= 2.0.5, < $X", for some value of X.

However, looking at http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite/ ,
they provide Python 2.4 binaries for their most recent stable release,
pysqlite v2.5.5....

Hm, the filename that has the offending syntax, as reported in Dave
Abrahams's letter, is "pysqlite2/test/py25tests.py".  So perhaps there
is syntax in the "py25tests" file that requires Python 2.5 to
interpret, and the bug is that this file is inadvertently evaluated
during installation on Python 2.4...

A-ha:

http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite/ticket/248

Oh, this bug report says that the error is non-fatal.  Maybe your
install succeeded, Dave?  Or maybe it failed due to something else?