[tahoe-dev] User access

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Thu Sep 17 19:37:50 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 September 2009 01:15:08 pm Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just about got everything all figured out, but I'm wondering how other
> users on my system can use tahoe.  As it stands, all of the client node
> files were written to /myhomedirectory/.tahoe.  If another user tries to
> run a tahoe command, tahoe responds with:
>
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/otherusersdirectory/.tahoe/node.url'
>
> How can I make tahoe "universally" usable (if there is such a thing). A
> step-by-step would be appreciated.

I'll be interested to see what the real experts say, but some ideas come to
mind:

1.  They should all be able to use the web interface.  That's not very useful
for storing files, but if they wanted to browse yours, and you gave them a
dircap, they could.

2.  You could copy node.url to the .tahoe directory in all of their home
directories.  The tahoe command line client is looking for that file to find
out the URL of the web API (so the file probably
contains "http://127.0.0.1:3456").

3.  You could make sure your .tahoe directory is publicly-readable (yeah,
probably not a great idea) and tell them they have to use the '-d' option to
tahoe command line commands.  Like "tahoe ls -d ~dmitri/.tahoe".  Not very
user-friendly.

4.  You could tell them they have to use the '-u' option to tahoe command line
commands.  Like:  "tahoe ls -u 'http://127.0.0.1:3456'".  Even less
user-friendly than the previous.

5.  You could make a script that calls tahoe and adds the '-u' option and
install it in a public path (e.g. /usr/local/bin).  Then they could type,
e.g., "th ls".  Maybe even better (and simpler) would be a script that checks
for the ~/.tahoe/node.url file and creates it if needed, with the right
contents, then calls "tahoe $*".

	Shawn.