[tahoe-dev] new-downloader pushed!

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Aug 4 18:08:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:
> I just finished pushing the new-downloader (#798) code into trunk. This
> represents about 6 months of persistent effort: it's a great relief to
> finally get it published.

Whoo-hoo! Way to go, Brian! This is excellent work!

> Please grab trunk and bang on it!

N.B. if you already grabbed the "1.8.0 beta" tarball, e.g.:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/releases/tahoe-lafs-ticket798-1.8.0β.tar.bz2

a.k.a.

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/releases/tahoe-lafs-ticket798-1.8.0b.tar.gz

Then you are already banging on new-downloader. There is one small
patch to its behavior that Brian has already added to trunk and is not
already in the 1.8.0β tarball:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4661/trunk/

My current plan (although I haven't discussed this with Brian and
David-Sarah yet) is to wait until we fix the two bugs that François
already reported (#1154 and #1155) and then release a "1.8.0β2"
release. In the meantime, you should not wait! Bang on the current
1.8.0β release or the current trunk version! I want to see some
benchmarks! :-) And more bug reports.

> The main thing that it might handle worse is
> when shares are doubled up: I think the new downloader may tend to pull
> multiple shares from a single server more frequently than the old one
> did. Both issues are things I hope to fix soon, but I don't know if
> they'll make the cut for 1.8 (seeing as how 1.8 was supposed to be
> frozen and entering beta a week ago).

I would prefer to leave the current behavior with regard to this for
1.8.0 final. It doesn't sound like a major regression. If benchmarks
turn up something that looks like it could be a real disincentive for
a user to upgrade to 1.8 then I'll reconsider.

P.S. Something else that we need is patch review. Brian has done a
beautiful job of organizing the new downloader into a set of logically
coherent patches:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4652/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4653/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4654/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4655/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4656/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4657/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4658/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4659/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4660/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4661/trunk
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/changeset/4662/trunk

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1154# mplayer triggers
two bugs in Tahoe's new downloader
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1155# Capability of
interrupted downloads is logged in twistd.log