[tahoe-dev] Chinese Tahoe-LAFS users found on the Internet

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Aug 5 02:21:50 UTC 2010

yu xue wrote:
> The topics that they talked are:
>
> 1. how to use tahoe-lafs, for example, make resources read-only.
>
> 2. The directory and sub-directory are all encrypted, so there is no way to
> analysis the membership relation only by the link. Any sub-filefolder in the
> filefolder can be deleted and renamed.
>
> 3. If tahoe-lafs support the file which is 5 MB large?

Yes, at least for immutable files. The limit used to be 12 GiB (with default
k=3 encoding parameters), but that restriction should have been lifted; the
only effective limit now for immutable files should be the space that storage
servers have available for shares.

(I just reenabled test_storage.Server.test_large_share and it passed, although
that isn't an end-to-end test of large files. It took a long time and wrote
4 GiB to disk -- Windows doesn't support sparse files apparently.)

> 4. They prefer to use distributed Tahoe-lafs http://pubgrid.tahoe-lafs.org.
> Because it is secure, nobody know what your file content except you and the
> people who share with you. It not only encrypt but also split the resources
> into pieces and to different machines.

Hmm, I hope that they realize that the transmission between their machines
and pubgrid.tahoe-lafs.org is unencrypted?

Maybe we should enable TLS on pubgrid.tahoe-lafs.org. That would help to
test TLS support.

> 5. They are trying to mount their website @tiver_se on Tahoe-lafs
> http://goo.go/GljL. In this way they don't need a new IP which is needed in
> order to use JS to remote control static Flash page and have risk of DDOS
> and fi[r]ewall

OK, I don't understand that even in English :-) But thanks for the
translation.