[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #1168: make setup.py more easily patchable by OS packagers

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Aug 11 12:49:45 UTC 2010

"tahoe-lafs" <trac at tahoe-lafs.org> writes:

> #1168: make setup.py more easily patchable by OS packagers
> ---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  davidsarah                 |           Owner:  somebody
>      Type:  defect                     |          Status:  new
>  Packaging Tahoe-LAFS for OS distributions (e.g. Debian or Ubuntu)
>  currently requires that [source:setup.py] be patched, so that setuptools
>  doesn't try to satisfy Tahoe's dependencies by downloading eggs or by
>  deciding to use a different version of the dependency than would be
>  provided by an OS package.

[not registered on trac yet, so here]

From the pkgsrc point of view, I also would like to see this.
Basically, I want to tell the build system: if anything you want isn't
*already* provided, just fail and tell me.

I'd like to see a switch to setup.py to avoid even a patch, but
David-Sarah's approach, providing a patch target with relatively
unchanging context, gets us 98% of the way there.