[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #1168: make setup.py more easily patchable by OS packagers

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Aug 11 22:50:34 UTC 2010

  Currently there is an option to "python setup.py install" named
  "--single-version-externally-managed" which gives the behavior of just
  not checking dependencies at all.

  Is that sufficient to satisfy the needs of the NetBSD and Ubuntu
  packagers (Greg, Paul), or do you want something more?

(pkgsrc doesn't yet really support cross builds, but it should, so I'm
very hesitant to add anything that feels like AC_TRY_RUN.  I realize
setup.py is sort of like this already, but it will have to be dealt with
somehow.)

pkgsrc doesn't have a notion of try to do the build one way, and then
run something, and then if ok undo all that and build it the other way.
What I've done so far is to do the build and search for "Downloading" in
the output, and add dependencies until that doesn't happen.

What I think I want (not knowing python well enough) is something like
the behavior of the autoconf macro used with pkg-config, where
./configure errors out if a dependency is not present.  setup.py is
almost doing that, except it is downloading things from the net when it
doesn't find something.  So it seems like it should be straightforward
to turn that into an error, and I don't understand why that isn't an
option in the python world already, since everyone who packages anything
in python has basically the same desire.

(Another minor issue is needing to install darscver from the egg, and
the special version of setuptools.  I don't understand the motivation
for this either of these when using a release.  So far these aren't
causing problems - they just jump out as odd.)

The patch in #1168 seems to do what I want (from reading; haven't tried
it yet), unless I'm confused.