[tahoe-dev] Running the tahoe CLI on Windows (was: Benchmarking)

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Fri Aug 27 01:39:09 UTC 2010

Kyle Markley wrote:
> I'm trying to fix my benchmarking script for the problem of "tahoe start"
> not daemonizing on Windows, by having Windows use "tahoe run" instead.  I'm
> running into a problem that ought to be basic, but I don't understand it.
> Help!
>
> Command '\Python26\python.exe \Python26\Scripts\tahoe-script.py run
> C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\tahoe.27V5' exited with status 1
>
> Output:
> Usage:  tahoe <command> [command options] run [options]
>   -C, --basedir=  which directory to run the node in, CWD by default
>       --version
>       --help      Display this help and exit.
>
> \Python26\Scripts\tahoe-script.py:  Wrong number of arguments.
>

> Wrong number of arguments?  When I use the exact same command line, but
> with "start" instead of "run", the node starts -- no error.  Could someone
> explain what's going on here?

Which Tahoe version? If you're using 1.8c1/c2 or trunk, the script will be
called "\Python26\Scripts\tahoe.pyscript" on Windows.

If there is still a "tahoe-script.py" from a previous version, that script
won't have been tested to work when Tahoe 1.8 is on the Python module path.
I'm surprised that it fails in this particular way, so this may not be the
problem.

Does plain "tahoe run C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\tahoe.27V5" work,
if Tahoe is installed and C:\Python26\Scripts is on the PATH?

> I've also run into a usability problem several times.  I've been able to
> get into circumstances where my benchmark script exits but the daemon
> processes don't.  Then, if I try to create a new node on the same port,
> it's not able to bind the web interface to the correct port (because the
> old one still owns it).  Instead of getting a helpful error message about
> not being able to acquire the port, the node looks like it starts
> correctly, but when I try to execute a command on it I get an error that
> the node.url file doesn't exist.  Could this condition be cleaned up ...
> please?

That would be part of <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/355>;
please add a comment there.