[tahoe-dev] some conceptual questions about tahoe-lafs

Francois Deppierraz francois at ctrlaltdel.ch
Thu Dec 9 13:59:38 UTC 2010

Hi Oliver,

On 12/09/2010 01:48 PM, Oliver Scheuss wrote:

> - Is it possible to have multiple gateways accessing the same storage
> servers (the page somehow implies this but I was unsure) ?

Yes, each gateway connected to the same storage servers gives access to
any file stored on the grid.

> - How is access to the different storage servers balanced? Specifically
> I'm thinking of read access when there is e.g. one server connected via
> LAN or even locally and one connected via the Internet.

Recent versions of Tahoe-LAFS actually tries to download shares from the
fastest storage servers first and how "fast" a storage server is
currently depends on the time taken by the initial reply.

> - When a storage server comes back to life how does it reintegrate its
> data? Will it transfer the data from the storage servers with the best
> connection or will it transfer data from all available storage servers ?

This operation is currently not automatic, a deep-check+repair operation
has to be manually launched by clients. However, it can be scheduled
with cron for instance.

François