[tahoe-dev] Accounting, 2010 edition

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Dec 20 15:53:08 UTC 2010

I'll have to digest your note later, but a quick thought: There's a
grand ultimate vision, and there are incrementally useful steps.  It
would be nice if we could both do something limited that was immediately
useful, and also have that work be on the path to the eventual right
answer.

As a concrete situation, it would be nice to target a friendnet grid
where we aren't particularly worried about malicious attempts to cheat,
but we do want to be able to observe how much space is person is taking
up.

That means we can leave out of increment 1:

  distribution of keys (can be manual)
  how to prove alice really is providing 3GB to the grid

It's probably worth figuring out how to deal with keying, since it seems
like there is

  x509
  openpgp
  roll our own

My vote is for openpgp because it has socially compatible assumptions,
and I almost always vote against roll your own.