[tahoe-dev] Test Grid is full

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Dec 22 13:49:15 UTC 2010

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> Just so y'all know, the Test Grid (which is linked to from the front
> page of http://tahoe-lafs.org ) is full. I just tried to upload a 1.8
> MB PDF to it, and got this error message:

I am seeing this also.

> I wouldn't expect the Test Grid to become un-full any time soon. The
> storage servers have garbage collection turned off by default, so only
> if some of the operators of test grid servers deliberately turn
> expiration on, as described in
> http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/garbage-collection.rst
> . (And then we would have to wait for at least 31 days to pass.)

I am (today, no guarantees about an hour from now) running 3 servers on
the pubgrid.  2 are full, and 1 has firewall issues.  All three have
expiration turned on.  The full ones have 2.6G and 768M stored, and the
one with the firewall issue nevertheless has 8G.

There are tickets open to turn on expiration by default, and to
default to leaving 1G free:

  http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1205
  http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1208

It would be a useful experiment to ask everyone running a pubgrid server
to enable expiration now, which is very easy.  In my case, expiration
and not filling my disk requires only the following in tahoe.cfg:

  reserved_space = 50G
  expire.enabled = True
  expire.mode = age

I think there's more to it than expiration, though - it seems people are
storing large files on the pubgrid disproportionately to the storage
they are contributing.  In my case, I only have about 105K stored...
So the pubgrid is serving its purpose, pointing out the need for
accounting (or zero-knowledge proof of reciprocity).

Sometimes I just rm older large shares when my servers are full (the
pubgrid is after all an experiment), and I'd encourage others to do that
to unstick things.  This doesn't seem to cause any real trouble, and I
pick a value that's bigger than any of my files :-)  I just did some of
this, so things may be momemtarily unstuck.

I think it's important for the project that newcomers be able to store a
few files.  So it might be good for someone with adequate standing, if
they concur, to publish social norms that people should only store 3/4
as many bytes of shares as they are contributing to storage and that
people using the pubgrid should be on this list.