[tahoe-dev] Accounting, 2010 edition

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Dec 22 16:48:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> I don't debate your point, but will observe that if you are right it
> needs to be reinvented as a first-class project/protocol/etc. rather than
> something tacked on to tahoe.

Why do you say that? I don't think I agree.

However, that's sort of a philosophical argument. These sorts of
discussions are often more productive when they focus on specifics. I
really like how Brian start writing down specifics about the user
experience:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-December/005763.html

(This is something that I've learned from Brian: that writing the docs
first, and then the unit tests second, and then the code third, is a
great way to launch the development of new functionality.)

Perhaps we could ask people who want to influence the design of this
new feature to publish their ideas in the form of end-user
instructions docs, specification docs (in .rst form, please -- just
copy some existing doc in order to get the formatting), or unit tests.
:-)

By the way, does anyone here actually use GPG? I certainly don't,
although occasionally I interact with build systems automation that
uses gpg to sign debian packages, and very rarely (once every few
years) I receive a gpg-encrypted email from a long-lost friend.