[tahoe-dev] barriers to using tahoe

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Feb 3 23:47:06 UTC 2010

Jody Harris wrote:
> After a great deal of reflection, I have two recommendations that should be
> minimal for developers, but make the greatest leap toward usability for
> users.
>
>  - SMB by default for Windows

The problem with this is that we don't have an open-source SMB server
implementation. The "NeoGeo" SMB libraries that are used in the
allmydata.com client are not open-source.

>  - FTP by default (localhost) for *nix
>
> With these already built services available by default, with clear
> documentation for attaching to them, users would immediately be able to use
> Tahoe in a local directory-type manner.
>
> The high latency of Tahoe-LAFS should be stressed in all documentation.

Note that the latency for immutable file downloads has improved in 1.6,
although it is obviously still high compared to a local filesystem (and
for directory access).