[tahoe-dev] barriers to using tahoe

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Feb 4 23:50:35 UTC 2010

Jody Harris wrote:
> Barriers continued....
>
> These are comments from my users:
>
>    (Speaking of command line...) "cryptic they are. They need to move more
> of the functionality into the web gui and do automatical aliasing and show
> that in the web GUI.  At least the top and maybe first trees in the
> structure."
>
>    "...why not include a web app - complete with logins and groups?"
>
>    "Interesting decision not to include [a web wrapper]...seems an obvious
> oversight?"
>
> These users seem to have very little patience for understanding the broader
> context of what tahoe was designed for.
>
> Perhaps I'm just trying to roll this out in the context of the wrong users.

I suspect that any user will have similar reactions to a tool that
shoves globally unique identifiers in his face.

What I interpret these users as requesting, when they ask for a "web
app" or a "web wrapper", that does "automatical aliasing" is a web page
that they can log into (thus obtaining their root capability) and on
that web page they see the "aliases" (petnames, links) for the
capabilities that they have already created, and they can drag and drop
files onto that web page, thereby creating more capabilities,
represented by more "aliases" (user petnames)

I think "automatical aliasing" may perhaps mean the same thing as I mean
when I say, "never show an end user a globally unique identifier."