[tahoe-dev] barriers to using tahoe

Paul Peter Adler ppadler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:25:31 UTC 2010

2010/2/5 Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de>:
> On Fri, 2010-02-05 10:28:49 +1000, James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
>> Jody Harris wrote:
>> > [drag & drop in the browser would be hard]
>>
>> To do it in IE, requires an active X control, for Firefox an addon
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2190>
>>
>> The javascript, the response and the layout of the web page has to
>> be different for the IE active X control than for the Firefox addon.
>
> Huh? I've seen drag'n'drop working with the same HTML, JS und CSS on
> both FF and IE.  So there *is* a way :)

I think there are two things mixed here:
1. Drag & Drop inside the web page
2. Drag a desktop (Windows Explorer) element to a webpage

Obviously, 1 would be easy to implement, 2 would not.

I take the chance to present my view on this subject: (only having
used the allmydata.com Win32-client with mixed feelings yet)
Yes, to become popular beyond *really* involved people, Tahoe-LAFS
needs a way to kickstart a (Windows) user's experience by anchoring
the root caps in some "standard view". Most likely this would be the
"root" of the virtual filesystem. While I think about it: Having the
root as a set of virtual folders seems to be more meaningful. Imagine
your capability "bookmarks" to be top-level folders. I guess normal
people could use that, heck *I* could use that.

Nothing keeps you from offering more advanced options the day after
installation, but we definitely need to give people a reason to share
the 90+% of unused disk space with others.

If I had the money I would add to the bounty of EdPimentl...

Paul