[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #943: "tahoe mv" deleted my files?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Feb 10 01:44:29 UTC 2010

tahoe-lafs wrote:
> #943: "tahoe mv" deleted my files?
>  However [source:src/allmydata/scripts/tahoe_mv.py tahoe mv] works by doing
>  a PUT operation to create the destination link, and then if that
>  succeeded, doing a DELETE on the source link. It would be possible to
>  check that the source object is not the same as the parent of the
>  destination link, but that only catches some cases that are prevented by
>  Univ {{{mv}}}: you would still be able to move a directory into an
>  indirect descendant, and it isn't clear how to prevent that.

A typical file system implements a general graph in which a special
subset of the links are constrained to form a tree.  These treeish links
are displayed differently and manipulated differently - one can perform
tree operations on them.

To constrain a link to be treeish, each object pointed to by a treeish
link has corresponding link to its parent.    A link is only treeish, if
the node it points to, points back.