[tahoe-dev] Recombinant Hashes

Chris Dew cmsdew at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:28:31 UTC 2010

I'm a bit confused by your reply.  I hope you could expand on it.
There are 12 hashes created (numbered from 0 to confuse people).  Any
number of hashes can be created, I just chose 12 as it is a nice
number.  There could have been 1000 hashes.  I don't understand the
term 'expansion'.  Is unlimited expansion what defines a fountain code
- or is the definition restricted to variants of the 'random linear
fountain'?

The efficiency of my algorithm increases as you increase the number of
hashes.  I restricted the demo to a short block of data and a limited
number of hashes.  In fact only 4 hashes an one bit from a fifth hash
is required to get back the data.  That was too complicated for a
demo.

A more general implementation (which I'll port to C, clean up and
document) takes blocks 119 uint16's long and needs 120 uint16 hashes
to get back the original data.  (120 was chosen as it's highly
divisible).  That's an efficiency of over 99%.

Theoretically there's no limit to the efficiency, but the processing
overhead grows at a greater than linear rate when larger block sizes
are chosen.  When I was using block sizes of 4KiB, and 'drops' of 256
bytes, the processor became a bottleneck (compared with broadband
download).

Regards,

Chris.

http://www.finalcog.com/