[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #862: Could a gatewayless architecture improve performance or avoid some webapi security issues?

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Mon Feb 22 23:47:27 UTC 2010

#862: Could a gatewayless architecture improve performance or avoid some webapi
security issues?
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
     Reporter:  davidsarah   |       Owner:  nobody
         Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed
    Component:  unknown      |     Version:  1.5.0
   Resolution:  wontfix      |    Keywords:  scalability performance availability security
Launchpad_bug:               |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Changes (by zooko):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => wontfix

Comment:

 Closing as {{{wontfix}}}. There is a lot of valuable information about the
 architecture in this ticket, and I hope that future Tahoe-LAFS hackers
 read it. As far as performance the main issue as far as I can tell is #320
 (add streaming (on-line) upload to HTTP interface). As far as security,
 there are a surprisingly large number of subtle security issues in our
 gateway architecture (see the comments in this ticket), but it seems like
 those issues can be fixed without changing the gateway architecture. As
 far as ease-of-use, ease-of-programming, I would definitely be open to
 providing different APIs depending on what programmers ask for. So far our
 RESTful WAPI is very popular, and as far as I know nobody uses the in-
 process Python interface or the CLI or FUSE or anything else than the WAPI
 for programmatic use.

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/862#comment:8>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org>