[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #970: webapi PUT via multiple nodes can cause directory corruption but does not report UncoordinatedWriteError

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Tue Feb 23 10:00:16 UTC 2010

#970: webapi PUT via multiple nodes can cause directory corruption but does not
report UncoordinatedWriteError
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stott              |           Owner:  nobody
     Type:  defect             |          Status:  new

Old description:

> Multiple simultaneous Tahoe put(s) via web API cause directory level
> corruption resulting in no recoverable data.
>
> To recreate
>
> Step 1.) Create Directory ; Get directory writecap.
>
> Step 2.) Using 61 .JPG files avg 1.7MB  use test.sh script to put files
> to Tahoe-Lafs.
>
> -------------------
> bash-3.2$ du -sh .
> 102m
> -------------------
> bash-3.2$ ls *.JPG |wc -l
> 61
> -------------------
> bash-3.2$ cat test.sh
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # From Directory listing itself == Directory Write CAP
> FW="URI:DIR2:tuz27wvy27ua4mt5lyotllbyke:phzv6ilb5gssi3zy33nki62zcudqjzyv7v7w4qaavwn5kuh2hawa"
>

> X=3456
> for I in `ls *.JPG`
>         do
> curl -T $I  http://10.20.0.151:$X/uri/$FW/$I &
> #echo "curl -T $I  http://10.20.0.151:$X/uri/$FW/$I & "
>          X=`expr $X + 1`
>         if [ $X -le 3500 ] ; then
>            echo "Submitting $I"
>            else X=3456;
>         fi
>         done

> Error returned from curl
>
> UnrecoverableFileError: the directory (or mutable file) could not be
> retrieved, because there were insufficient good shares. This might
> indicate that no servers were connected, insufficient servers were
> connected, the URI was corrupt, or that shares have been lost due to
> server departure, hard drive failure, or disk corruption. You should
> perform a filecheck on this object to learn more.
>

> ------------------------
>
> Error Generated when trying to retrieve known good URI from child
>
> http://codepad.org/mTFYmfxf
>
> -------------------------

New description:

 Multiple simultaneous Tahoe put(s) via web API cause directory level
 corruption resulting in no recoverable data.

 To recreate

 Step 1.) Create Directory ; Get directory writecap.

 Step 2.) Using 61 .JPG files avg 1.7MB  use test.sh script to put files to
 Tahoe-Lafs.

 -------------------
 bash-3.2$ du -sh .
 102m
 -------------------
 bash-3.2$ ls *.JPG |wc -l
 61
 -------------------
 {{{
 bash-3.2$ cat test.sh
 #!/bin/sh

 # From Directory listing itself == Directory Write CAP
 FW="URI:DIR2:tuz27wvy27ua4mt5lyotllbyke:phzv6ilb5gssi3zy33nki62zcudqjzyv7v7w4qaavwn5kuh2hawa"

 X=3456
 for I in `ls *.JPG`
         do
 curl -T $I  http://10.20.0.151:$X/uri/$FW/$I &
 #echo "curl -T $I  http://10.20.0.151:$X/uri/$FW/$I & "
          X=`expr $X + 1`
         if [ $X -le 3500 ] ; then
            echo "Submitting $I"
            else X=3456;
         fi
         done
 }}}

 Error returned from curl
 {{{

--

Comment(by warner):

 wow, it sounds like you were actually able to provoke a real UCWE! Well, a
 real collision, at least.

 So, did really none of the PUT commands result in an error? I would have
 expected at least one of them to emit a UCWE. Re-running the test and
 sending the output of each curl instance to a separate logfile would help
 answer this question. Also double-checking that curl emits errors to
 stdout when it gets a 500 or whatever HTTP error code UCWE maps to.

 If you could, please do a file-check (with --verify) on the directory in
 question. With the dircap you show, the command would be "{{{tahoe check
 --verify --raw $FW}}}". I'm expecting to see a small number of shares of
 each version, for several different versions.

 The file-check output will tell us, but what were the encoding parameters
 in use when you ran this test? I know from another ticket you were
 experimenting with parameters on the order of 40-of-50.. if the dirnodes
 (and other mutable files) were created with these same parameters, they'd
 be much more vulnerable to UCWE than with the normal 3-of-10 encoding. If
 that was a factor here, we might want to consider separate encoding-
 parameter configs for dirnodes (or perhaps for all mutable files), so that
 you can use safer 3-of-10 for them and more efficient 40-of-50 for
 immutable bulk data. (Note that protection from UCWE comes from small "k",
 whereas the usual reliability against server problems comes from having a
 large N-k).

 (also, incidentally, when pasting large shell transcripts into a Trac page
 like this one, you should wrap the block with triple-curlies, so that Trac
 will not try to interpret the comments as WikiFormatting. And please
 attach other things as trac attachments instead of e.g. codepad links,
 because a few months from now when somebody comes back to look at this
 ticket, the pastebin will have expired and the contents lost)

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/970#comment:2>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org>