[tahoe-dev] Deleting a file on Tahoe

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Feb 23 21:23:40 UTC 2010

Janus Dam Nielsen wrote:

> On 19/02/2010, at 17.40, Peter Secor wrote:
>> If you don't care about the data on your grid anymore and just want to
>> get rid of it all, you can stop the nodes and delete the files in the
>> <basedir_to_tahoe>/storage directory for each node. That will delete all
>> of the shares, and when you start the grid back up there will be no data.
>
> Thanks. I thought it might do the trick, but was not sure if Tahoe kept
> some meta data somewhere else.

Incidentally, you don't have to stop the storage server nodes. Tahoe
will tolerate shares being deleted out from under it just fine.

You can use "tahoe debug dump-cap $FILECAP" (or the "More Info" button
on the web interface) to learn the "storage index" for a given file.
Then you can locate the share files by running "tahoe debug find-shares
$STORAGEINDEX $BASEDIRS.." on each storage server: this will emit a list
of filenames to stdout. Just delete the files it lists (and their
$STORAGEINDEX parent directory, if you want to save a tiny extra bit of
space).