[tahoe-dev] up with filesystems! up with the web!

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Jan 4 04:20:47 UTC 2010

David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>>> Windows explorer is hardly a good example of a well-designed UI for
>>> browsing *or* manipulating a filesystem with symlinks. It can't even
>>> expand a symlink without throwing up some modal error dialog.
>>
>> This is not my experience.  I have a bunch of shortcuts in my documents
>> directory that point to folders and web pages without any regard to tree
>> relationship, and I click on one of them every few minutes.
>
> Doesn't work for me; it must be different between Vista installations.

If anyone is still interested in this tangent, the reason why James can't
see this bug is probably that explorer doesn't show junction points
(same thing as symlinks) by default. Shortcuts are not junction points.
The latter are only displayed if you have 'Show hidden files and folders'
enabled globally, although having disabled that, reenabling it does not
seem to restore the same behaviour as before (the junction points are
still not visible). You can see junction points using "dir /al" regardless
of the explorer settings.