[tahoe-dev] Java client?

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Jan 6 22:39:05 UTC 2010

Jody Harris wrote:
> So, has any work been done on an HTML-embeddable Java client?
>
> Is this even possible?
>
> It would be a publisher's dream (one of them, anyway) to be able to
> publish through a Tahoe-LAFS cloud with a Java client that could connect
> to the introducer for downloading content without having to funnel the
> data through a central server.

That'd be pretty cool. Personally, I've been thinking about doing it in
javascript, as a Firefox extension, which would enable things like
tahoe: URLs embedded in HTML hrefs. We've got a lot of things to fix
before either one is feasible.. switching away from Foolscap for the
storage-server protocol, switching from shared secrets to ECDSA signed
messages for storage-server operations, getting our favorite crypto
primitives and FEC libraries available from the target language,
defining the top-level API that this embedded Tahoe component offers to
something higher-up in the browser, etc.