[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.6 is still coming soon

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jan 20 07:00:22 UTC 2010

Folks:

Thanks to the generous contributions of our team of volunteers, we're
making progress on several important features.  You can follow along
on the trac timeline -- http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/timeline --
and roadmap -- http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/roadmap .  Also, we
need help!  Manual testing, documentation editing, packaging for your
favorite operating system (especially if your favorite operating
system is Windows), and code-review are all much needed.

Our earlier plan to finalize Tahoe-LAFS v1.6 last weekend completely
failed, as issues #778 and #833 proved to be a lot more work to solve
than I imagined.  The solutions that we are now implementing seem to
have excellent properties of robustness, security and forward-
compatibility, so I'm not too worried about the delay.  Kevan
Carstensen is working on #778 with me primarily reviewing his code
(although other reviewers are more than welcome to also review it --
#778 is a tricky problem).  David-Sarah Hopwood is working on #833
with Brian Warner planning, I believe, to be the primary reviewed of
his code (although again it would help to have more reviewers for
added assurance).

Also there are several patches from François Deppierraz and David-
Sarah waiting to be reviewed by someone else: http://allmydata.org/
trac/tahoe/wiki/PatchReviewProcess

This coming weekend I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my
two boys, having sent my wife off on a visit to another city.  I
predict that Kevan, Brian, David-Sarah, François, and other
volunteers will get a lot of good hacking done in my absence and that
we'll release Tahoe-LAFS v1.6 sometime next week.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/778#"shares of happiness" is
the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/833#reject mutable children
when *reading* an immutable dirnode