[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.6: only one ticket left open

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jan 28 17:18:50 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 2010-01-28, at 9:33 , Jody Harris wrote:

> "Third, servers that are busier will tend to answer the queries
> later, so this patch makes downloaders automatically load-balance
> to download shares from servers that are less busy."
>
> There's a gem right there.... This could actually be built into the
> server to either 1) delay reply based on load,

Well they tend to do that naturally.  A server which is heavily
loaded (whether in network, disk, CPU, or RAM) will tend to answer
these queries a split-second slower than a server which is idle.  So
as soon as we commit #928 to trunk, servers which are struggling
should no longer get requests to download shares from v1.6 clients.