[tahoe-dev] help needed! package Tahoe-LAFS for your favorite platform.

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jan 28 17:37:15 UTC 2010

Folks:

I expect that Tahoe-LAFS v1.6 is going to be more widely seen than
any previous release. In part this is because it is mature and usable
enough that I'm ready to advertise it to hackers from the "nosql"
community, to a hundred thousand computer geeks who read Boing Boing,
etc. However, as things currently stand the vast majority of people
who read about it, think it is interesting, and then try to download
it will immediately give up because they don't have a working C++
compiler and Python header files on their system, and there is no
binary package of zfec, pycryptopp, or pyOpenSSL for their particular
platform.

Please help! There are two "layers" of packaging, and we could use
help with both of them. The first "layer" is to build a binary egg.
This is very easy -- just get the source code for zfec or pycryptopp,
make sure you have a good C++ compiler and Python headers installed,
and run "python setup.py bdist_egg". This will produce a binary egg
good for use on your platform and your major version of Python. We
support Python 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6, but if most people on your platform
can be expected to use a particular version of Python then you can
just build a binary egg for that version. Oh, and of course you
should always run tests first: "python setup.py test".

The next layer is to make a real native package of Tahoe-LAFS + zfec
+ pycryptopp for your favorite platform. We already have that for
Ubuntu. We need it for all other platforms!

Thanks!