[tahoe-dev] Build problems: using installed packages, and install failure

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Fri Jan 29 18:14:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:57:40AM -0700, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> On Friday, 2010-01-29, at 10:32 , Jack Lloyd wrote:
>
> > This is going to be essential for getting an tahoe-lafs ebuild into
> > Gentoo, I think.
>
> By the way, if you want to contribute a tahoe-lafs ebuild into
> Gentoo, then we should run a Gentoo buildslave so we can tell whether
> any new patch we commit breaks tahoe-lafs on Gentoo. Want to
> contribute one? :-)

Probably yes, though I could only test on x86-64.

The real goal here personally is once I have Tahoe running out of the
box via Gentoo's portage, I can set it up on my machines and attach
them all to the volunteer grid, then use the volunteer grid as my
tertiary backup so even if both Vermont and Denver get EMPed I can
still get my data.

(Secondary goal being that Gentoo users tend to have beefy hardware
simply by the nature of the distro and the sort of people it attracts,
so making it really easy for them to install Tahoe and use their
machines as grid nodes might expand the volunteer grid substantially).

An unrelated question about something that will matter to me in about
6 months: is there a way to reduce the space allocated to a Tahoe
node?  Say, it is set up to use 10 Gb of space, but then free disk
starts running low, and I want to reduce it to 8. Obviously I could
kill the node and then restart from nothing, but it would be nice if
there is a clean way to randomly remove N% of the current shares
leaving the rest intact. (Obviously at an architecture level Tahoe
deals with that beautifully, but I haven't noticed anything on the
management side to actually do it).

-Jack