[tahoe-dev] Behavior when storage nodes go below shares.happy?

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Fri Jul 9 15:50:51 UTC 2010

On my 4-storage-node home grid, I started a backup last night with this
configuration:
tahoe version 1.7.0
shares.needed = 2
shares.happy = 4
shares.total = 4

Three of the nodes are laptops, and I neglected to check all their power
settings before going to sleep.  One of them automatically went to sleep
during the night, leaving only 3 storage nodes running.

I expected the backup to fail when this happened, because 3 running nodes
is less than shares.happy (4).  But it didn't.  It kept running.  Is that
expected?  Or am I misunderstanding something about servers-of-happiness?

--
Kyle Markley