[tahoe-dev] what do we want from decentralized introduction?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Fri Jul 9 18:18:49 UTC 2010

Folks:

Faruq is hard at work implementing decentralized introduction (ticket #68).

I just posted this on the ticket:

I have some questions about how decentralized (gossip-based)
introduction is supposed to work. Faruq (and everyone who cares about
decentralized introduction!) please tell me if my assumptions are
wrong.

Assumption 1: there will be a flat text file in your ".tahoe" base dir
named "introducers" containing a list of introducer furls that the
node will read at start-up.

Assumption 2: whenever the node learns about new introducers it will
write the furl of that new introducer into the file.

Assumption 3: if there is no "introducers" file at startup then it
will instead look into the .tahoe/tahoe.cfg file to find the
"introducer.furl" entry (which is how introducer was configured up
until Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.0), and if it finds it then it will write it
into the ".tahoe/introducers" file and use it.

Assumption 4: if there is an "introducers" file at startup then it
will *not* look into the .tahoe/tahoe.cfg file to find the
"introducer.furl" entry, and any entry which is in there will be
ignored.

Question 1: is this what you are trying to implement, Faruq?

Question 2: is this what people want to use in Tahoe-LAFS v1.8?

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/68# implement distributed
introduction, remove Introducer as a single point of failure