[tahoe-dev] Building the Tahoe Windows Client

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Tue Jul 13 14:59:34 UTC 2010

Dear Thomas Jakobsen:

I checked the thread about using py2exe on cygwin:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=y2l232f319b1005050851v5c882289r21c33bded7803c6%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=py2exe-users

It sounds like py2exe isn't supported on cygwin and nobody has figured
out how to make it work.

> But as far as my understanding goes, the Tahoe Windows Installer is meant to be build with Cygwin and therefore some of you may have solved this before.

No, what made you think this? I believe the Tahoe Windows Installer
was probably intended to be built with the standard CPython on Windows
(the one you get from http://python.org ) and with some commercial
Microsoft compiler that was current in 2007 or so. Nils Durner, Mike
Booker, and Greg Hazel contributed to some README documents to help
people build the Tahoe-W32-Client. I just poked around in the
tahoe-w32-client source repository and this is what I found:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-w32-client/browser/trunk/README.txt

Hm, that has only one passing note about how to build... Let's see...
Well there are a couple of notes in here:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AdvancedInstall

Okay, I guess at this point you have to read the Makefile and see what
it is trying to do.

One thing to note is that you probably don't actually require the
py2exe step (bundling together a Python interpreter and the Python
code into one .exe file). That is typically only needed for
distribution purposes--to let someone download and execute the .exe
file instead of downloading a Python interpreter and using it to
execute the Python code. For your purposes, to get the
Tahoe-W32-Client working on your own computer, you probably don't need
that step.