[tahoe-dev] Why pyutils isn't well known

Peter Westlake peter.westlake at pobox.com
Tue Jul 27 10:31:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:24 -0600, "Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Ravi Pinjala <ravi at p-static.net> wrote:
> > I'd like to second this - not trying to be harsh here, but a package
> > where the description is basically "contains good code!" is next to useless.
>
> All right, all right! So, here's a list of the files:
>
> http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pyutil/browser/trunk/pyutil
>
> At some point I will browse through this list and add a bullet-point
> about each file to the README.
>
> Someone else could do this if they want to help. Most files have a
> docstring or comment at the top briefly describing what it is. If you
> want to help with this, you can just write a bullet-point for each
> file whose purpose is clear to you, and make a list of the names of
> all files whose purpose is unclear to you and it will be my job to add
> doc of each file on that list.

A random(ish) selection of easy ones:

logutil.py: send log messages to Twisted logger if present, else Python
library logger.
mathutil.py: integer power, floor, ceil, and nearest multiples; permute
and fit slope.
memutil.py: statistics and diagnostics for memory use and garbage
collection.
nummedobj.py: number objects in order of creation for consistent debug
output.
observer.py: implement the Observer pattern in Twisted.
odict.py: ordered dictionary implementation: see PEP 372.
platformutil.py: get Linux distro information. More accurate than
platform.platform().
strutil.py: common prefix and suffix of two strings, and newline
processing.
weakutil.py: class WeakMethod allows a bound method's object to be GC'd.

Less clear:
randutil.py has interfaces to /dev/*random, but there's some SHA 256
stuff as well.

Peter.