[tahoe-dev] Advertised invalid node port

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Jun 16 17:09:22 UTC 2010

On 6/16/10 9:31 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
> Zooko wrote:
>> If you
>> aren't serving as a web gateway then you are not going to act as a
>> Tahoe-LAFS storage client -- only as a storage server (or upload
>> helper or introducer), so you shouldn't elicit connections from
>> storage servers.
>
> That should be: if no frontend servers (currently webapi, FTP, and SFTP)
> are turned on.

Actually, it should be controlled by a tahoe.cfg knob, which defaults to
True unless you've really created a server-only node. When we get a
"backup service" or "repair service" implemented, in which
uploads/repairs/whatever are being driven by python code inside the
Tahoe node (perhaps coming from some yet-to-be-invented plugin system),
we will want client functionality despite no external frontend
interfaces being active.

And many "server-only" nodes will eventually want to do client-like
things, for server-driven repair or rebalancing.