[tahoe-dev] 100-year cryptography

Chris Palmer chris at noncombatant.org
Wed Mar 10 18:04:54 UTC 2010

Jack Lloyd writes:

> two of the biggest CPU drains for normal user desktop machines are
> video and SSL,

Where is the proof that SSL even rates as a blip? I wonder because

> (For instance a 600 MHz ARM can do AES-128 at around 50 Mbit/s, which is
> probably enough even for a VPN concentrator hooked up to a T3 line)

Exactly.

There is the asymmetric crypto, but it does not happen in bulk, on the
client side its cost is dwarfed by the network costs, there is session
resumption (if the web site enables it), and most web sites are astoundingly
bloated at the content layer, which costs way more than any little crypto.

Sorry; this is off-topic but you pressed one of my auto-rant buttons. :)