[tahoe-dev] blocks instead of files?

Jody Harris havoc at harrisdev.com
Wed Mar 10 18:14:49 UTC 2010

Has the Tahoe Dev ever discussed the possibility of encrypting and storing
blocks instead of files?

I don't know:
1) if this has already been discussed, or
2) if it would actually solve the problem it seems to me it would solve.

If the encrypt/store algorithms encrypt in (for example) 128 KB blocks,
then
 - you would never hit the large memory overhead problems seen with 100 MB
and larger files.
 - processing and storage would just take the file one chunk at a time
 - retrieval and decryption (seems) that it would stream nicely since
allocation of the next block(s) could take place while the current block is
streaming out.

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yes, I realize that:
 - legacy code would have to remain in place for every file store by
previous versions, AND
 - the would break backward compatibility, AND
 - You would have more connections per store

BUT
 - I'm wondering if the cost/benefits offset one way or the other.

(I like to ask questions.)

jody
----
- Think carefully.
- coram Deo
- Credo ut intelligam - "I believe that I may know" (St. Augustin of Hippo)