[tahoe-dev] Web gateway should keep its caches encrypted?

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Thu Mar 11 18:26:55 UTC 2010

In poking around with http range requests, I noticed that the web
gateway will (on occasion) locally cache files in unencrypted form.

Now in normal use that's perfectly OK because web gateways are trusted
with our unencrypted data and so having the data present in that form
should be OK.

But my mental model of a gateway machine is that it's just a stateless
waypoint which doesn't store anything local.  If I have a setup where
there's a gateway machine within my network serving several machines, I
would expect it to not have any persistent memory of my data, and so
when it comes time to replace the HD I don't need to worry about
scrubbing the disk, at least for Tahoe's sake.  (Let's assume swap has
been dealt with.)

Therefore, I think the gateway should keep the cache files encrypted and
only decrypt them on the fly as they're being sent to its clients.  I'm
not sure what the key should be, but it should be per-file and transient
(derived from the cap/root hash/something else?) rather than some local
state (which would defeat the purpose of encrypting in the first place).

Thoughts?

Thanks,