[tahoe-dev] Google Summer of Code 2010 -- Ideas Needed!

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Fri Mar 12 22:20:56 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 07:06 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Nils Durner suggested "writer coordination on mutable dirs/files".
> That is interesting! I'm not sure how it could/should be implemented,
> but it could be very valuable.

If there were some way for the writers to find out about each other then
they could decide one of them to be a serializing agent for the updates
(one of them becomes an ad-hoc helper-like entity, or perhaps delegate
to another helper machine).  The writers would need to have some kind of
mutual confidentiality trust anyway, since they've all got write-caps on
the same file and can therefore derive read-caps.  (Write-only caps
would mean that their changes would be mutually confidential even if
they're coordinating the writes.)

Not sure how they'd find out about each other; perhaps the introducer
could do it, but it might be interesting to build a DLM-like thing on
top of  a general chordish DHT.

Adding a DHT to Tahoe would be a worthy GSOC project in itself; has it
been mentioned?