[tahoe-dev] Google Summer of Code 2010 -- Ideas Needed!

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Fri Mar 12 22:29:08 UTC 2010

On Friday, 2010-03-12, at 15:20 , Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> Not sure how they'd find out about each other; perhaps the
> introducer could do it, but it might be interesting to build a DLM-
> like thing on top of  a general chordish DHT.

That might be related to #68 (implement distributed introduction,
remove Introducer as a single point of failure) and #295 (distributed
control of access to nodes).

> Adding a DHT to Tahoe would be a worthy GSOC project in itself; has
> it been mentioned?

Well there is #869 (Allow Tahoe filesystem to be run over a different
key-value-store / DHT implementation), but I guess that's not what
you mean. What do you mean?

In some sense the immutable files (key = cap, value = file contents),
and the mutable files (key = cap, value = file contents), and the
directories (key = path-and-filename, value = file contents) are
already "distributed hash tables".

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/68#
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/295# distributed control
of access to nodes