[tahoe-dev] GSoC

Lalit Bharat lalit.bharat.apm06 at itbhu.ac.in
Wed Mar 31 09:32:52 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone,
    I am a potential GSoC student and after studying Tahoe for some time I
am quite interested in applying for a project with Tahoe-LAFS and have a
couple of queries and ideas about Tahoe-LAFS. They are as follows.
   1. The first one is regarding the idea "Redundant Array of Independent
Clouds"
        I felt the idea of integrating the various cloud storage services
with Tahoe-LAFS quite interesting as such API's for some of the cloud
services such as S3 protocol(Amazon) and Cloud Files Protocol(Ransack) are
available and can be integrated into server.py as mentioned in #999. This
will make Tahoe more useful as clients will not not have to depend on Tahoe
specific data storage servers. Can you please suggest how to proceed to
continue with this project.

   2. The second one is some what concerned to "Cloud Apps" and "WebDAV
Support"
      After using the WUI provided by http://volunteergrid.org and the one
hosted by the local Tahoe server on 127.0.0.1:3456 I found it to be really
tedious to copy/paste the uri for each access to a file/dir. I suggest that
there must be an XML file on the client's system which stores the uri for
each file/dir that the user has accessed and should be used to generate the
Tree directory structure. This cannot be achieved by just using the browser
with javascript and so as to make it portable on all system, I think that a
Java applet that can access the local system files will do the job.
      This Java applet shall read the contents of the XML file and give the
user the Tree view. It shall also download the files requested by the user
and update the contents of the XML file when a new entry is opened by the
client.
Comments Please

Thank You
Lalit Bharat