[tahoe-dev] Progress on SFTP for v1.7

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed May 12 07:11:15 UTC 2010

Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
[...]
> The SFTP front-end is a major new feature that I'm excited about. If
> it works as intended, it will allow people to use Tahoe-LAFS through
> familiar user interfaces such as ftp clients, Gnome and KDE file
> managers, etc.. I'm not sure if the Mac OS X Finder can use SFTP.

Not by default, although MacFusion (http://www.macfusionapp.org/) is
an open-source frontend to sshfs and MacFUSE that supports that. This
is one of the clients that it would be useful to test.

> We need volunteers to try out the SFTP support in their favorite file
> manager.
>
> Ed Pimentl's offer of a bounty of $800:
> http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-February/003802.html
>
> Jack Lloyd's offer of a bounty of $150:
> http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-February/003807.html
>
> David-Sarah's request for clarification of what qualifies to earn the bounty:
> http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-March/004053.html

See <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1037> for an update
on the features that will be supported.

The tests will not be end-to-end for 1.7, i.e. they will not run over
a real SSH connection. This makes manual testing more important. The
more clients we test, the more chance we have of uncovering any
interoperability bugs.

To get a copy of Tahoe with the sftp patches applied, install darcs and use:

darcs get --lazy http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe-lafs/ticket1037 tahoe-sftp

(This will allow you to get any further changes using 'darcs pull'. I'll
probably commit the other changes slated for 1.7 to this repository as
well. Alternatively, you can apply the sftp-all-darcspatch.txt attached
to #1037 to your existing darcs checkout.)

Instructions for how to set up the SFTP frontend are at
<http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/docs/frontends/FTP-and-SFTP.txt>.

It's likely that this documentation could do with streamlining and
simplifying, and perhaps splitting into separate files for FTP and SFTP.
Almost certainly the first people to try this will run into setup problems.
Please don't be discouraged by this; we need to see what the most common
problems are in order to improve the documentation.