[tahoe-dev] Questions

Jason Wood jwood275 at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 16:44:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm looking into options for storing lots of images for a web service and I
have narrowed my search down to a few options, Tahoe-LAFS is most definitely
in the short list!

I just have a couple of questions about it before I make any decisions:

Suppose I have a file of 100GB and 2 storage nodes each with 75GB available,
will I be able to store the file or does it have to fit within the realms of
a single node? This is largely irrelevant as I will not be storing files
that large but I would like to know I could.

Do I need to shutdown all clients/servers to add a storage node? This has
put me off another option which looked very promising until I found I must
shut the entire cluster down to add nodes.

Finally, I see I can link files on the cluster (very useful!), does this
make an actual link or copy the data? Does the target file have to reside on
the same storage node as the source file? I think I know the answer to this
but just want to clarify.

Thanks,

Jason.