[tahoe-dev] uTP (low extra delay transport)

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Wed May 26 23:41:18 UTC 2010

On 05/26/2010 04:03 PM, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 03:55:38PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>
>> On 05/25/2010 05:54 PM, Jack Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> (And in deploying things to work on the general Internet, it's
>>> reasonably likely you'll encounter really dumn NAT implementations,
>>> but I'm not even sure how relevent that is to Tahoe - how many people
>>> are going to run storage servers behind a NAT and yet be
>>> unable/unwilling to configure the NAT to forward the ports?)
>>>

>> I think there's a lot of value in making Tahoe usable by people who
>> wouldn't necessarily have the expertise to do any kind of NAT
>> configuration (for example, I think Tahoe would be a pretty good basis
>> for a decentralized social network type system).
>>
> I would agree this is an excellent potential use of Tahoe, but one of
> the advantages of Tahoe is that to do this securely, you don't need to
> host your own storage server; you just create files in the grid, and
> the only problem for the application/end-user is managing and sharing
> the capabilities.

Yes, but then someone needs to provide the storage resources.  It would
be nice to arrange for storage to be decentralized so that it scales as
the number of people in the network grows.  Tahoe in its current form
would probably completely melt down if you tried to do a 100k user
social network (=at least 100k nodes), let alone Facebook scale.

But it would be an interesting exercise to consider whether Tahoe could
adapted for this use case.