[tahoe-dev] uTP (low extra delay transport)

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Thu May 27 23:11:02 UTC 2010

>>> I think there's a lot of value in making Tahoe usable by people who
>>> wouldn't necessarily have the expertise to do any kind of NAT
>>> configuration (for example, I think Tahoe would be a pretty good basis
>>> for a decentralized social network type system).

> It would
> be nice to arrange for storage to be decentralized so that it scales as
> the number of people in the network grows.  Tahoe in its current form
> would probably completely melt down if you tried to do a 100k user
> social network (=at least 100k nodes), let alone Facebook scale.
>
> But it would be an interesting exercise to consider whether Tahoe could
> adapted for this use case.

Yeah, it'd be great if Tahoe would scale like that.. it's one of our
(very-) long term goals. (MojoNation, from whence all this started, was
trying to do that too, and I think it's a fine goal, if
perhaps-impossibly-difficult). If everyone on the planet can contribute
a little bit of storage, for which they get back a little bit of
storage, then everybody on the planet could have secure robust backups
of as much space as they were willing to contribute. Or more, if we can
build the fancy distributed payment mojo. That's my own personal world
domination plan, at least.

NAT punching is a big bringing-it-to-the-masses step, but hard enough
(and far enough off our original use cases) that it was deferred.