[tahoe-dev] Help adjusting buildbot after upgrade?

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Wed Nov 10 16:05:21 UTC 2010

 On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:53:46 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> I think you have a good point about symlinks.  Probably you should
> file
> a ticket so this doesn't get lost.  It isn't immediately obvious how
> they should work, especially because tahoe does not have a concept of
> "..".  I think it can't grow one, because .. is a huge change to
> chained
> capabilities semantics.
>
> backup on the other hand is perhaps done by storing dump or tar files
> in
> tahoe.  I have not figured out what I want to do yet.

 If a backup and restore were known to be happening on the same "kind"
 of system, symlinks are easy: a symlink is merely a string as returned
 by readlink(2).  Tahoe could save such strings in directory entries and
 restore them with symlink(2).  Without '..', of course, it would be
 impossible to use symlinks for navigation within the web interface --
 but for my application I don't care about navigation, I just want them
 backed up and restored!

 Across systems, symlinks are more complicated because tahoe would need
 to understand the substrings representing (at least) the current
 directory, parent directory, and the path separator.  On the Perl side
 of the universe, there's a library for portably working with filename
 strings, and the ideas there may be a good place to start: perldoc
 File::Spec

--
 Kyle Markley