[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.8 planning / Administrivia / Big Picture

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Nov 18 07:58:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/10 3:02 AM, Francois Deppierraz wrote:
>>
>> 1-of-3     58
>> 2-of-3     63
>> 3-of-3     58
>> 10-of-30  210
>> 20-of-60  394

Curious!

Could you please do the same experiment with Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1? If it
was just as ill-behaved back then, I guess this isn't a recent
regression and we don't have to hold up 1.8.1 to investigate it.

> Hm. Just before 1.8.0, I was using the JS/Protovis -based download
> timeline visualization tools (which didn't get landed) to investigate
> the overhead of large k (i.e. talking to lots of servers).

It would be really great if we could figure out how to integrate this
JavaScript stuff into Tahoe-LAFS. Here's the ticket, with Brian's
patch, screenshots, and links to the discussion (which is a bunch of
people standing around saying "JavaScript packaging? What? How do we
do this?").

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1200# package up Brian's
New Visualization of immutable download

François: if you could apply Brian's New Visualizer and post
screenshots of the visualization of the performance when you have
20-of-60 encoding, that would be cool!