[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #1270: have a separate build target to download any missing deps but not to compile or install them

tahoe-lafs trac at tahoe-lafs.org
Sat Nov 27 18:57:27 UTC 2010

#1270: have a separate build target to download any missing deps but not to
compile or install them
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zooko        |           Owner:  gdt
     Type:  enhancement  |          Status:  new
 As mentioned by gdt in comment:9:ticket:1200, it would be useful for
 packagers if they could ask the build system to download any missing
 dependencies, but not to build them or install them.

 This might be related to or satisfied by the "tahoe-deps" and/or SUMO
 tarball features, which we have sort-of working right now.

 Let's use this ticket to work out what test would satisfy this feature
 request. gdt: how could we test this? Maybe just do a test like the one
 described in comment:21:ticket:1220 (the one which will go red if the code
 under test says "Downloading http") but we first run {{{python setup.py
 justdeps}}}. So then after running {{{python setup.py justdeps}}}, then it
 runs {{{python setup.py justbuild}}} and goes red if it says "Downloading
 http", then it runs {{{python setup.py justinstall --prefix=$PREFIXDIR}}}
 (and again goes red if it says "Downloading http"), then it runs
 {{{$PREFIXDIR/bin/tahoe --version-and-path}}} and goes red unless it
 prints out the right version and path.

 Note that the test code doesn't have a fair chance of marking the code
 under test red if the system already has all deps already installed. There
 have to be some missing deps so that the code under test might be tempted
 to try to download those deps when it isn't supposed to.

--
Ticket URL: <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1270>
tahoe-lafs <http://tahoe-lafs.org>