[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #1270: have a separate build target to download any missing deps but not to compile or install them

tahoe-lafs trac at tahoe-lafs.org
Sat Nov 27 20:25:21 UTC 2010

#1270: have a separate build target to download any missing deps but not to
compile or install them
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
     Reporter:  zooko        |       Owner:  gdt
         Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
    Component:  packaging    |     Version:  1.8.0
   Resolution:               |    Keywords:
Launchpad Bug:               |
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment (by warner):

 Sounds like we need a buildslave environment which is specifically
 designated to have (or lack) certain dependencies. Part of the warmup for
 that build will be to assert that those dependencies are (or are not)
 present. If we had an easy way to spin up predefined VMs as buildslaves on
 demand, it'd be easier to accomplish that. Using personal machines as
 buildslaves (or really any machine that serves other purposes), such that
 they may be upgraded or improved for non-tahoe-buildbot reasons, makes it
 challenging.

 Incidentally, let's call this command "{{{setup.py download-deps}}}", or
 {{{fetch-deps}}}.. something more meaningful than "justXYZ".

 In my "unsuck" branch, I'm taking the approach of embedding a list of
 (NAME, URL, SHA256) tuples, and it will refuse to expose a downloaded
 tarball which doesn't match the hash (download to tempfile, check hash,
 rename). I really really don't like the current setuptools behavior of
 downloading random things from HTTP websites and executing them.

--
Ticket URL: <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1270#comment:1>
tahoe-lafs <http://tahoe-lafs.org>