[tahoe-dev] Windows 7 install Error on 1.8

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Mon Oct 4 04:40:47 UTC 2010

Paul,

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:03:43 -0600, "Paul Grunwald" <pgrunwald at comcast.net>
wrote:
> Hi All,  I wanted to play with this before tying to port to the DLink
> DNS-321.  This is what I got on install.
>
> OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

<snip>

> distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Setup script exited with error: Unable
> find vcvarsall.bat

Please refer to this section of the Advanced Install page:
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/AdvancedInstall#Whatifthatdoesntwork

The error you're seeing occurs because the installation process needs a
compiler (for dependencies), but can't find Visual Studio.  If you install
MinGW and configure python to use it, everything will be fine.

I'd be interested to hear whether "setup.py install" works for you.  In my
case I saw that the dependencies were being built but not installed; I had
to separately install each egg created by the tahoe build.  I'd like to
know whether my experience was peculiar or whether there's a more universal
issue here.

--
Kyle Markley