[tahoe-dev] Windows XP build errors 1.8

slush slush at centrum.cz
Sat Oct 16 08:16:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to install TahoeLAFS on Windows Vista machine. I was unsuccesfull
with 1.7.0 before few months, so I give a next try with 1.8.0.

Problems:
1) There is not "g++" option in current MinGW installer! I had to install
base system, then go to mingw directory, run updater and then select g++ to
install. Very confusing. Please update installation information.

2) When I definitely compiled Tahoe using setup.py build, setting nickname,
introducer etc, few seconds after 'tahoe start' I get this error message:

c:\tahoe180\bin>c:\python26\python tahoe start
STARTING 'C:\Users\zzz\.tahoe'

way.
client node probably not started

And message box with "Windows are searching problem solution" appears. This
is common Windows Vista installation, nothing special here. I definitely
hanged installation here because had no idea what can be wrong.

Just for information - installation procedure for Windows systems on "Geting
Tahoe-LAFS" are not complete - I had to go to "advanced installation" to get
information about mingw32. Please add information about mingw32 also here,
because many users will be confused with vcvarsall.bat error message.

Thanks,
Marek