[tahoe-dev] go ahead and package Tahoe-LAFS

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Oct 21 15:33:31 UTC 2010

following-up to my own post:

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> 4. If you are a packager who integrates open source software into
> operating systems like Debian, Fedora, the NetBSD ports collection,
> NixOS, etc., then do *not* let the noise and excitement deter you from
> packaging Tahoe-LAFS. Tahoe-LAFS is perfectly packageable today (it is
> included in Ubuntu for example), and there is no reason to make your
> users wait for the dust to settle. We will help.

Oh, Ubuntu is not the only example. Here is a matrix showing which
operating systems/packaging systems already have Tahoe-LAFS:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/OSPackages

Ubuntu has Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1, nixpkgs has Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1, FreeBSD
has Tahoe-LAFS v1.7.1, and pkgsrc (e.g. NetBSD) has Tahoe-LAFS v1.8.0.

I would love for this table to get more rows (new operating
systems/packaging systems) and I would love for the column showing
which version of Tahoe-LAFS to change to "v1.8.1" everywhere. :-)