[tahoe-dev] help! how do I manage dependencies on JavaScript code?

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Thu Sep 2 14:11:11 UTC 2010

Hi Zooko-

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:52:25 -0600
"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have ideas about how to cleanly manage dependencies on
> JavaScript code? At the moment I'm inclined to go ahead with
> Tahoe-LAFS v1.8.0 without the pretty visualization and figure out a
> really good way to manage this stuff for Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.

I feel your pain, and you're not the first person to ever bring up this
kind of thing.  There are three options here: (1) add the jQuery file to
the tree and hope that something better comes along.  This isn't a
great option, but it's not like you can rely on package managers to
handle it for you. (2) You can have setuptools go out and grab jQuery
from the web and put it in your tree.  That actually seems pretty
okay.  Just run `setup.py build` and it'll go out and get it.  (3) Just
have Tahoe-LAFS use the Google CDN to grab jQuery.  I don't know if you
security folks are up for that or not, but I do it for many of my sites.

--
Paul Hummer
http://www.paulhummer.org

"Sometimes I suspect that we build our traps ourselves, then we back
into them, pretending amazement the while." -Neil Gaiman