[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS, Django, RAIC

anders anders at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:19:28 UTC 2010

On 09/02/2010 02:36 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> http://blog.mozilla.com/webdev/2010/08/30/from-zope-import-django-persistence/
>
> It mentioned that although Django's native persistence language has
> always been SQL that there was recent interest in porting it to "NoSQL
> databases". On a whim, I searched the web for "django tahoe-lafs" and
> what do you know! Someone named Anders Pearson has written code to
> make Django use Tahoe-LAFS as a storage backend:
>
> http://github.com/thraxil/django-tahoestorage

Hi. Sorry I haven't passed this along yet. I'd been hoping to actually
get some unit tests written for it and try out one or two other ideas I
had for speeding it up before I did a real public announcement.

> Anders has also written "a django frontend for Tahoe-LAFS":
>
> http://github.com/thraxil/canopy
>
> What is "a django frontend of Tahoe-LAFS"? Is it a user interface, so
> basically an alternative to the Tahoe-LAFS Web User Interface
> (http://pubgrid.tahoe-lafs.org/ )?

Yeah, Canopy was mostly supposed to be an alternative front-end. I
probably should just delete that project at this point. I really wrote
it to just write *something* against Tahoe's web API to get a feel for
it. My plan was to get it working and then refactor it into a reusable
Django app that could then be included in other Django projects. So the
idea is that I'm often building things that are sort of mini-CMSes where
users can upload and manage media files and I would like to be able to
easily pass the files off to Tahoe.

I got that sort of working but then realized that just writing a storage
backend would be a better approach so I abandoned Canopy and started on
django-tahoestorage instead.

I'm planning on continuing work on django-tahoestorage and very
interested in hearing thoughts on how it can be improved. Unfortunately
right at the moment I'm on vacation in Montana and I have somewhat
limited internet access and not as much time to code.