[tahoe-dev] help! how do I manage dependencies on JavaScript code?

travis+ml-tahoe-dev at subspacefield.org travis+ml-tahoe-dev at subspacefield.org
Fri Sep 3 14:47:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:14:24AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> That's too bad; that's a disease of people thinking that what they do is
> the main thing and it's ok for people to have to expend effort on it.
> Obviously if it were that way for all 769 packages installed on my box
> nothing would ever get done.

Yes, I've given up on installing anything other than single-file
scripts that require something more than "sudo aptitude install foo".

I tracked all software I used with CVS back in the day, but it just
doesn't scale.

> I'll also second Randy's notion that dependencies are bad, especially on
> large things.  I'm all for visualization, but I'd like to see the core
> tahoe-lafs be able to write files that have a machine-parseable trace,
> and then a separate package to look at them, so that a working
> filesystem install isn't burdened with javascript etc.

Many security people who see mention of javascript in a filesystem's
dependencies would probably move on.

Yes, I know you're using HTTP as a RPC layer, but most filesystems
are, well, a little lower-level than that.

> I realize there's a tension between the unix and windows concepts of
> usability.  Obviously i'm coming from the unix side.

Reminds me of the debate on whether or not to include printf in the C
standard library.  Sounds reasonable enough, unless you're writing for
an embedded system like an elevator controller.
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys